Thursday, January 22, 2009

Bronze Winters




Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Filicoides Compacta' is a hinoki cypress. The hinoki cypress is a conifer that really stands apart from pines and spruce trees with it's fan like branches they make quite a striking addition to the garden. I've heard from conifer collector's that these plants are borderline zone 5, so they may not make it through super cold winters.


I had heard that many of the hinoki cultivars turn a "bronze" color in winter. Up until the above plant all I had seen were plants that looked near dead in winter and then looked revived in spring. This 'Filicodes Compacta' does really have a true "bronze" color and is hard to miss even at it's small size.

I have over 40 hinoki cypress cultivars in my collection and they offer great diversity and year round color. Some like the above pictures show may even add a touch of bronze to your garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment