Monday, December 29, 2008

You Serenade the Meat


Marinading meats has always seemed an 80's thing to me. I'm not sure why I view it that way but I've always been more of a fan of making a sauce to finish the meat with then trying to infuse the meat with a flavor with a marinade.

I've been slowly trying to not use this book as my mantra for not needing to marinade meats. Recently I've found a very simple yet effect technique for marinading meats. Pureeing onions in water and adding other flavors. Adding raw sliced or minced onions never makes since to me and this technique turns the onions, and garlic in the case above, into a fine puree that clearly has more of a chance of infusing the flavor into the meat than a onion pieces.
-
Give it a try.
2 cups water
1 cup onion
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon bay leaf powder
Add all to a food processor and puree till completely smooth. Pour over meat and marinade for 12-24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment