Monday, April 6, 2009

Bring in the Lights





With the weather report calling for near or below freezing temperatures, I went in to a red alert to protect my larger maples. When you're dealing with trees 8ft+ wrapping them in 40 MPH winds really doesn't work.
-
Many people use Christmas lights to wrap their trees or shrubs to help add maybe one or two degrees to help keep hard frost off of tender new leaves. For my Japanese maples I decided to use some Christmas lights and some halogen work lights, some might not be the right word. Twelve lights would be better description of how many lights I used to help protect my larger maples. These lights put out 500 watts and provide a good amount of heat and hopefully that will be enough to protect these maples.
-
I'd also like to give a huge thanks to both 'Hogyoku' and 'Osakazuki' the only two Japanese maples I have that did not break bud. These two trees are both old and wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment